19/4 Stumbler
Tuesday, April 19, 2016 | 4/19/2016 12:49:00 AM | 0 comments
Today I read an article that one of my good friends who went for a uni's interview had to read.
I love this snippet from the passage, and I agree with the author that we need more direction on how to develop our inner selfs (eulogy characteristics) than our working skills (resume virtues). It goes like this:
"External ambitions are never satisfied because there’s always something more to achieve.
But the stumblers occasionally experience moments of joy. There’s joy in freely chosen obedience to organizations, ideas and people. There’s joy in mutual stumbling. There’s an aesthetic joy we feel when we see morally good action, when we run across someone who is quiet and humble and good, when we see that however old we are, there’s lots to do ahead.
The stumbler doesn’t build her life by being better than others, but by being better than she used to be. Unexpectedly, there are transcendent moments of deep tranquillity. For most of their lives their inner and outer ambitions are strong and in balance. But eventually, at moments of rare joy, career ambitions pause, the ego rests, the stumbler looks out at a picnic or dinner or a valley and is overwhelmed by a feeling of limitless gratitude, and an acceptance of the fact that life has treated her much better than she deserves.
Those are the people we want to be."
Idk if she realizes this, but I think this friend of mine is a stumbler herself.
And yes, a stumbler is the kind of person I would like to be.
Today was a pretty long and rough-towards-the-end day. But I learnt many lessons. More importantly, it strengthened my conviction that this world could be a better (in the non materialistic sense) place.
Today, someone was upset with me because I used a wrong term in vocabulary which I thought made sense to me and sounded more polite- concede. To me, it's a word which means "yes, I agree with your point of view although i thought so differently before". I said, "okay I concede because idw to waste time traveling too."
Alas, it offended the person. When I tried to clear the misunderstanding, explaining that I didn't know "concede" comes with negative connotations and further evidenced with the fact that I even used in my GP essays a few times,
The person in an unfriendly manner (because I know him/her inside out) said "maybe that's why you didn't do well."
I agree, I didn't do well. I agree, I have poor grasp of my vocabulary.
(I am actually q afraid to blog these days esp after leaving school, because idk what kind of wrong words I've been using in the past and will be using in future.)
But when I decided to take a step back from the quarrel, i decided that
Yes. I got a B for GP, when 50% of my JC and our friends over on the green pastures of bishan got A.
I got B, by God's grace.
Call it self-denial for my shit (to some/most) results. But I don't ever want to become someone who gets A and ends up unintentionally saying such a thing to someone else in future. (But then, this person did not get A or B for GP, so maybe said incident/person isn't reflective of the A-graders.)
I understand this person probably said it out of anger with no ill intentions. And such a statement would probably just be brushed off by others. It's not that serious or mean. But i had been trying to catch arrows without letting them reach my core/heart for the past hour, and this small one slipped past by grasp into my heart.
Cos I've recently been shot by accidental arrows, now I am learning to mind my words and my tongue so that i will hurt others less. I don't want anyone to ever feel what I felt today, and I won't stand by and watch, if i ever meet anyone who is made to feel the way I did.
Nevertheless, I thank God today, cos I have learnt part of the many reasons for Him not giving me an A for GP/ stellar results. I imagine I would be walking around with my nose high in the air if I did better than I have done. Or I would be cloaked in superficiality as I walked around telling others how badly I did/reverse boasting.
And I thank God, because it seems like He always prepares angels to catch me when I fall. My life is surrounded by so so many good people who love me even when I don't deserve them. From close friends to friends to elders (parents/teachers) who are always guiding me and going the extra mile to help me/spoiling me by consistently asking me to ask for more help.
I may be out of my bubble of school life, and more exposed to harsh realities, but I have some of the best bolsters who are there for me to shield me from strong impacts.
I'm glad that tonight I could ask for a hug at this hour when in my small puny circle of friends, i shdnt expect any to be around at this time. (And I think I haven't asked for any so directly in at least 3yesrs)
I have more than enough. (:
I'm not perfect, but I'll keep trying:
1. to be a better me, not anyone else.
2. to make this world a better place.














